Visits With Family & Friends

After New York, we drove out of Brooklyn on the way to Windsor, Connecticut, where Ashleigh's grandmother lives, and where my college friends live. We hit moderate traffic on the way, but eventually got through it, and headed for grandma's house first. We went by the way of over the river and through the woods.

This grandma is Ashleigh's mom's mom, who lives independently in a little house. Ashleigh's uncle and aunt brought their two daughters for one of their birthday. We opened presents, had dinner, had ice cream cake, and had a nice time. We showed the trailer to the girls, who loved it. Children seem to like the trailer because it's sort of like a kiddie play area, like a couch cushion fort or a tree house.

After dinner we drove a few miles up the road to stay with my college friends, Mike and Sierra. Mike is a medical student in dermatology residency, which was very convenient considering my multiple current skin problems. Not only do I have a persistent case of scalp dermatitis, but on the trip I also developed a crazy leperous spot on my chin, and to top it all off some kind of nitetime bugs feasted on my ankles and legs as I slept at Vijay's apartment. (Thanks for that, New York!) So I arrived scratching my legs and with my face looking like Gorbachev's head. (Mike feigned like he was just a student and didn't know how to help, then he promptly recommended that I put lotion for athlete's foot on my face. I have been doing that with considerable success for the last couple days.)

The next morning we had breakfast at a local hole in the wall, then Ashleigh went back to hang out with her grandma again for a few hours. I helped Mike and Sierra walk their two german shepherds, then Ash came back and we drove east to Providence, RI, to meet up with Ashleigh's childhood friend Erica. We had a delicious BBQ dinner at Ultimate BBQ, slept comfortably, and had breakfast at a local eatery. Ashleigh and I then drove toward Portland, ME in our Jeep, and a while later Erica drove toward Portland, ME in her car. Of course the Jeep hardly maintains the speed limit, so Erica easily overtook us and arrived first.

In Portland on the first nite, which was last nite, we had dinner with Ashleigh's mom and dad. We had wonderful home-made crab cakes and lobster with butter! Delicious! After dinner Ashleigh and I went to Gritty's bar and had a drink with a few of her friends. An itinerant artist pushed Ashleigh to buy a custom craft made from aluminum foil -- a butterfly. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment